Saturday, November 21, 2009

Samuel Anderson b. 1793, Burke Co., NC

I think I have found some BIG clues tonight, and am pretty excited about the new find. Maybe, finally, the family of Jesse J. Anderson.

A post on an ancestry message board from 2004 about Samuel Anderson and his family.

His family also married Ballews. AND, there was a Francis Ballew who married Nancy Anderson ~ just like I had previously in my family tree!!

After more searching I had found that around the same time period was a Frances Ballew, female, who’s parents are unknown. Soooo, do I have the right Frances? (I sure hope so!)

If so, that brings me a GREAT big step closer to continuing my line farther.

The post, by Glenn. A. Anderson read:

This is my "annual attempt" to make contact with other branches of my Anderson family, who might
be able to add to the following:
After several years of finding nothing further back than my gr. gr. gr. grandfather, Samuel Anderson b. 1793 Burke Co., NC (m. Millie Ballew 25 July 1821 Burke Co. NC) ... I finally made a break through and located the first name of his mother, Martha, and two siblings, Jesse, who married Nancy Powell 5 Mar 1820 and Nancy who married Francis Ballew 20 Mar 1827. Samuel also had two uncles, William of Ashe Co. NC and Levi of Buncombe Co., NC and one cousin, Levi's son, Gordon Anderson also of Buncombe Co. NC. Samuel also apparently had four other aunts and/or uncles,
which were identified only as having come from Buncombe, Yancey and Haywood Co's in NC.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone that might have ties to any of the foregoing
Regards
Glenn A. Anderson


So, my thought is that Francis Ballew in this post who married Nancy Anderson, is the brother of Margaret Ballew, who married Henry Cook Anderson. If that is the case then one of Samuel’s Uncles listed on this page may very well be my Jesse’s father. Also, we know that there are four others not listed. Is one of them Alex Anderson?

Any more clues????? Anybody have any insight on this new information?

(I am really hoping this is correct, and is taking one step closer to the answer of who is Jesse Anderson’s father)

THANKS! And, happy searching!

8 comments:

  1. Jesse Anderson's father and mother: Thomas Anderson b. 1771 Cumberland Co. VA and Martha Dickey b. 1772 Rowan Co., NC ...
    Thomas Anderson's father and mother: James Anderson. b. abt 1726 Caroline Co. VA and Margaret Troys b. 1720 NC.
    James Anderson's father and mother: Lawrence Anderson II b. abt 1706 MD and Mary Mae Kirkpatrick b. abt 1705 Scotland
    Lawrence II Anderson's father and mother: Lawrence I b. 1652, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland and Mary Plunket, b. abt 1661 England.
    Lawrence I Anderson's father, James Anderson, b. abt 1627, Scotland
    ... assume Edinburgh, Midlothian


    From Glenn A. Anderson murphy_boyz@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello cousins!
      My 4th great grandfather was Elisha Anderson, youngest brother to Samuel and Jesse. In my research, I am unable to verify that their father Thomas (my 5th great grandfather) was in fact from Virginia or in this line of Andersons. Do you have the source/s or any verification on the information provided above?

      Also, Elisha was married to Elizabeth Balloo Anderson (name from tombstone). In my research, I have also discovered intermarriage of the Anderson and Ballew families as Penny found, which has led me to believe that Elizabeth's last name was misspelled and should have been Ballew. However, I have been unable to connect her to the immediate Ballew family (that married the other Anderson siblings) or to any other Ballews.

      If either of you or any other relatives have information to share or can help, I would appreciate it!

      Best regards,
      Randal Allen (Anderson) Farmer
      rndl.frmr@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. Randal, I just made one connection between these groups. Elisha's sister Nancy, is the Nancy Anderson that married Frances Ballew. Frances is the brother of Margaret who married Henry Cook Anderson.

      I have not connected the two Anderson lines (yet), but Thomas' father James was born and died in VA... You probably already found this.. but.... wanted to make sure to share.

      Delete
  2. Jesse Anderson 1770-1826
    Henry Anderson 1771-1825
    Jacob 1775-?
    Josiah Anderson 1779-1857
    Wife of Josiah: Mary "Gilder" Anderson

    Parents of Josiah, Jesse Jacob and Henry:
    FATHER:Henry Anderson 1731 SC D:31 Oct 1781
    MOTHER:Ruth Gordon 1731 Newberry SC D:5 July 1825 Dickens SC
    MARRIED 1743 Berkeley County, SC

    Parents of Henry Anderson::

    Abraham Anderson B:1708 M:1676 D:Dec 1764 Newberry SC

    Susannah Anderson B:1700 Ireland D:unknown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for the cherokee connection in my dads family he said his mom told him we have relatives who were on the trial of tears jousha levi andeerson he may have gone by levi born around 1805 he married polly redmon born around 1803 i may have found him in the 1830 census as levi in spartanburg sc nancy anderson was in spartanburg 1830 also also born around 1805 does anyone know anything

      Delete
  3. there is wrong info out there about Joshua Levi Anderson I don't think he was from Horry County SC with a father William from New York his dad may have been William but it is not clear where they were from I found other possibilities of Joshua being either from western NC or 96th district of SC I even fould a Joshua who was remove from SC cause he signed a petition against unfair taxes on people of color who fits for the Joshua in my family he also could have been from NC I think some people got him mixed up with another Levi Anderson who had a different family it is the same for Polly Redmon who may have been Mary with Polly as a nickname she may have been from 96th district of SC or NC because there is a gap in the records with no info until 1850 census may have been slaves who were freed at some point or had other families or are the people I found in 96th district area and NC their son Levi who may have been David Levy had three families after Charlotte Harris his first wife died he had a son John Henry Alford with Clarky Alford the married a Elizatbeth Long but her parents and birth place are not clear she may have been a different person or her dad may have been a different Joseph F Long from another place also there is a note about him that on his death bed he said he wasn't Joseph F Long but Witifer or some name like this (I forgot the name) and he was from Alabama which could be since the Joseph F Long that whoever it was put down as her father on an ancestry website not sure which it was would have been too old and there are other Joseph F Longs

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sure is confusing but have to go by what my dad said and what we all were told in the family for forever that joshua anderson and polly redmon both or one of them are Natives and were on the trail of tears or thier family menbers were on the trial of tears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene... Just because our family doesnt show on the rolls at this time (maybe havent found it yet) doesnt make them 'not cherokee'. It simply means they would not be entitled to the things the government gave the nation. I was told they walked the trail also. I believe they did. Census proves their locations. But, the Cherokee Nation has a great website. They are full of information for anyone to get to. I have my gr grandfathers application. Witness testimony etc.. Stating they were. But ultimately they were denied enrollment. Ok with me...i just want to know where we come from...dont need the entitlement. :). Testimony says the family was on the earlier rolls...but heck...even with google i cant find it. Lol!!! But several in my line applied... Why would they all apply if they werent by blood? Im not sure. But the hunt goes on!!!

      Delete